Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bangaluroooo

aaaahhh the life of the Expat.  and what a life it is.     

My American born cousins decided to up and leave with their two kiddos and move to the large economic metropolis of Bangalore in the state of Karnataka.  Funny how our parents, and almost the entire state of Gujarat (thus the influx of Patels in the U.S. of A), ran, sprinted, fled their native homes in the '60s and '70s for the land of opportunity, moo-la and luxury so that now, the children of these hard-working, wide-eyed Indians head back in mini-flocks to the motherland. Some Indian parents are proud, others crunch their eyebrows in deep perplexion exclaiming, "VHAT tha hell?"    irony. 


Skipping along on my adventure, I decided to visit my brethren and live the good life, if not for at least a few days.  After hostels, bugs and heat, this was the promise land.  Swimming pool, cool breezy ambient outdoor weather, infinite indoor AC, American Oreos, Cheetos and Hershey's syrup.  Yippee kay yay!

Typically, South Indians nosh on humongous plain or masala Dhoshas, vegetable-filled pancake Uttapams and UFO shaped Idlis.  (Most people drool at the mere mention of these succulent dishes but sadly I'm not a big fan of cuisine from the South - so, you'll have to trust the word of the masses on this one, in this rare instance not follow my lead and dip your fingers rabidly into these delicacies).


anyhoooo, apparently the gods were not on my side as sitting in my bungalow, sipping chai as one does,  chanting "theh's no problem yaar", is not my permanent life.  only a mere pass through. 

                                                                                
No doubt, though, that on my way out I innumerably begged my cousins to adopt me.  Alas, I'm still waitin for the call.  Must be the paperwork backed up.  Must be. 

                                                            Lil Maharaja

No comments: