Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So YOU Think YOU Can Dance

What to do when in Kerala?
Apparently, Kathakali.

I've seen many a grand thing while travelling.  Asia always brings out the best and brightest.  But Kathakali took it to a new level, a new dimension really.

Kathakali is a highly stylized Hindu classical dance-drama originating in Kerala.  (paraphrased from Wiki, no less).  But that's the PC version.  What I saw was wowzers.  From the front seat of the 50 chair Periyard Theater in Munar (basically I was on the stage), I witnessed facial expression and bug eyed movement at its speech-defying finest.  It is a wonder that pupils can enlarge and contour at such emotion-filled aerobic agitation and in rapid fire in 360 degree directions to the beat of live, loud percussion. 


Never one to be classy or fully appreciate the intricate nuances and beautiful arrangements of various art forms, at some point during the production, I of course, began to giggle. 

But don't chastise me,
as laughter is the best medicine.
Assuming your ailment is immaturity. 
but I digress.....


Seriously, Kathakali is not to be missed when in Kerala.  The recreation of epic Hindu stories such as the Ramayana or Mahabharata come to life with characters in full vibrant costumes and live music comprised of tablas, cymbals and traditional song.  At this particular theater, by arriving early, you can witness the dancers, who are all male, being dressed in their complicated and decorous outfits by their assistants and applying fantastic makeup.  For all my youthful behavior, I did come to the wise conclusion that this green face paint is awesome.


Overall, I didn't really fully comprehend the intricate emotional sequence that I was privy to audience, but basically....there was a man, there was a woman, and there was anger.  Seems pretty clear to me - a scenario that plays out in full color in the daily lives of peeps the world over.
Next time I have my own Kathakali performance I might try some face paint and live drum beat.  A little foreign language singing in the background might not hurt either.   but again, I digress.....


If this wasn't enough, check out this live video from youtube: 
Kathakali!

No comments: